Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Irony

I started a geeky blog with two blatant references to WoW. Three weeks later, I have all but decided to quit the game. Expect to hear little about my WoW exploits, as they are likely to cease until a new expansion comes out. I am not a raider. I don't have much fun raiding. I find the purposes of raiding pointless. WoW endgame is based on one goal and one goal only: raiding. This of course includes gear acquisition. But how do you acquire great gear and to what end? You acquire it raiding for the purpose of raiding. I have yet to tell my guild, but they'll just have to lump it. I would just level alts, but there aren't many lowbies to play with and the economy is really crap.

In the meantime, there is little to takes its place gaming-wise. I don't really think I want to go back to Diablo II full time. I guess I could finish Warcraft III. There's Starcraft II coming out soon. I'll probably dabble. But Starcraft people are so hardcore. They are really good. Hmmm. I'm not sure I ever fully played through Starcraft. That might be fun to go back and do before II.

MV's bro suggested Lord of the Rings on-line. I tried it out through their free trial, and it is fun. But I'm not sure that I really enjoyed it that much. The graphics were not as smooth as WoW, and the interface in many ways is WoW before either expansion. In terms of gameplay there are some really cool aspects. The integration of achievements with tangible stat rewards is very nice. In WoW accomplishments are purely for vanity (at this point, perhaps in expansion they'll give you a way to spend achievement points). It is clear that both Accomplishments and the Glyph systems in WoW are ripped from LotRO, but much in LotRO is ripped off WoW. Anyway, we'll see. If MV's bro does play, I might play with him, but I think that that is the same condition he's working from. This seeems to indicate that neither of us are really blown away with the game, so why waste time on it? We'll see. I'll give it a little more time.

In the meantime, Dragon Age: Origins looks cool. I comes out in Oct, but I have no idea if my comp will be powerful enough to play it. But it looks quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment